Trusted Legal Advocates Who Work Hard For You

Should you see a doctor for road rash?

On Behalf of | Feb 10, 2020 | Firm News |

New Jersey motorcyclists suffer from an elevated rate of road rash. This is because they are more likely to come into contact with pavement than other drivers. Even with full protective gear, road rash is not uncommon. But how serious is this injury? Is it something motorcyclists should seek professional medical attention for? 

VeryWell Health provides an in-depth look into road rash injuries. Road rash is mild, moderate or severe. You likely hear of the mild cases the most often. These cases involve the abrasion of the outermost layer of skin. Bleeding is common. Infection also occurs if the wound is not treated well. But these injuries are not very serious. You may want to see a medical professional to ensure the wound is free of debris. After that, at-home care is often all you need. 

You should see a doctor right away if your road burn is moderate or severe, though. These cases of road burn involve abrasions that go deep beneath the surface layer of skin. In some cases, abrasions extend down to the bone. Victims have suffered from muscle loss and nerve damage. Bleeding is sometimes intense enough to risk a bleed-out if the victim is not treated in time. 

In these cases, large portions of the flesh are often removed. This results in a high risk of infection. Infection often sets in within hours. Severe infection like sepsis is not uncommon. Victims often need skin graft surgery. This protects them from infection risk and increases the chance of avoiding scarring. But disfigurement and scarring are still common even with quick medical care. To avoid worse outcomes, you should make medical attention a top priority.